Friday, February 19, 2016

LXX Takes a LICK



        There are a number of examples in the gospels where the Lord refers to passages in the Old Testament and give us a paraphrase of the passage, rather than a verbatim quote.

For example, Isaiah 42:1-4 is quoted in:

Matt 12:17-21 "That it might be fulfilled which was spoken by Esaias the prophet, saying,  Behold my servant, whom I have chosen; my beloved, in whom my soul is well pleased: I will put my spirit upon him, and he shall shew judgment to the Gentiles. He shall not strive, nor cry; neither shall any man hear his voice in the streets.  A bruised reed shall he not break, and smoking flax shall he not quench, till he send forth judgment unto victory. And in his name shall the Gentiles trust."        The actual quote in Isaiah 42:1-4 is somewhat different, but we can see the same general sense and expanded meaning given to us in Matthew's gospel.

Isa 42:1-2 "Behold my servant, whom I uphold; mine elect, in whom my soul delighteth; I have put my spirit upon him: he shall bring forth judgment to the Gentiles. He shall not cry, nor lift up, nor cause his voice to be heard in the street.  A bruised reed shall he not break, and the smoking  flax shall he not quench: he shall bring forth judgment unto truth. He shall not fail nor be discouraged, till he have set judgment in the earth: and the isles shall wait for his law."        Yet if we were to compare the Septuagint reading, we find that it gives a very different meaning than the one found in either the New Testament or the Hebrew text of Isaiah 42.

        In the LXX we read:

Isa 42:1-2 "Jacob is my servant, I will help him.  Israel is my chosen, my soul has accepted him; ... nor shall his voice be heard without ... He shall shine out, and shall not be discouraged ..."        It's obvious that Matthew, under the inspiration of the Holy Ghost, is not quoting some LXX.  Rather, he is restating the same truths found in the Hebrew text by placing the same ideas in synonymous terms.  God has the right to free-quote himself, because He is referring to what He Himself has inspired.  He knows how a passage can be limited or expanded. We, on the other hand, do not have the right to alter God's words or thoughts.

No comments:

Post a Comment