Saturday, December 1, 2012

MODERN VERSIONS ARE BROKEN

1 Cor 11:24 (KJB) And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me.

This verse contains the word "broken" ("klwmenon" in Greek). This word has been omitted by Tischendorf (8th edition), Westcott-Hort and the Critical texts of our day (i.e. UBS/N-A text). And as usual it is omitted by nearly every modern English version:

NSAV and when He had given thanks, He broke it and said, "This is My body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of Me."

ISV gave thanks for it, and broke it in pieces, saying, "This is my body that is for you. Keep doing this in memory of me."


RSV and when he had given thanks, he broke it, and said, "This is my body which is for you. Do this in remembrance of me."

NIV and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, "This is my body, which is for you; do this in remembrance of me."

As one reads through these translations it is quite obvious that something is missing and what is left is a worthless sentence. "This is my body that is for you" is an utterly ridiculous sentence. It was the fact that Jesus' body was "BROKEN" for us that we are to "do this"! In fact the Holy Ghost is seeking to relate to us the relationship between the 'bread' and Jesus' 'body'. The lack of the word "broken" destroys the correlation between the "bread", which was broken and His body, which was also"broken". The "broken" body also reminds us of the prophecy that "not a BONE of him shall be broken", though His body was. Once again we see that the SPECIFIC WORDS are absolutely imperative.

In closing I wish to deal with the reading of the New Living Translation - "and when he had given thanks, he broke it and said, 'This is my body, which is given for you. Do this in remembrance of me.'" The footnote reads, "Some manuscripts read broken." There are NO Greek mss. that read "given"!


Marty Shue

No comments:

Post a Comment