Sunday, November 18, 2012

I AM

Exod 3:14 And God said unto Moses, I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.

I remember when I first got saved and read the Bible. I came to this verse early on and saw the ALL CAPS and the Spirit bore witness that this was a VITALLY important verse. It showed God's eternity with "I AM THAT I AM". I would learn later that it showed the deity of Jesus Christ when He said, "Before Abraham was, I AM".

John 8:58-59 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I am. Then took they up stones to cast at him:

The Jews certainly took this as Jesus declaring Himself to be God. That's why they were going to stone Him. They were accusing Him of blasphemy. That's why He was executed on the cross at Calvary!

A very similar passage verifying this (in the same gospel) is:

John 10:30-33 I and my Father are one. Then the Jews took up stones again to stone him. Jesus answered them, Many good works have I shewed you from my Father; for which of those works do ye stone me? The Jews answered him, saying, For a good work we stone thee not; but for blasphemy; and because that thou, being a man, makest thyself God.

This is probably the most direct mention of Jesus Himself of His deity. Certainly the modern versions would not mess with this verse, would they?

Njkv 14 And God said to Moses, “I AM WHO I AM.”

NIV 14 God said to Moses, "I am who I am.

Tniv 14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM.

NASB 14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM"

MSG 14 God said to Moses, "I-AM-WHO-I-AM.

AMP God said to Moses, I AM WHO I AM and WHAT I AM, and I WILL BE WHAT I WILL BE;

NLT 14 God replied to Moses, “I Am Who I Am.

ESV 14 God said to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM."

NCV 14 Then God said to Moses, "I AM who I AM.

HCSB 14 God replied to Moses, "I AM WHO I AM.

The Popeye versions (I yam who I yam!) say NOTHING when they have God say "I am WHO I am". ANYBODY could make this claim. I am WHO I am as well. But ONLY GOD can claim "I AM THAT I AM".

The modern versions, including the Nkjv, fumble BADLY in this verse. They stripped God of a very important passage concerning His eternity, identity, and connection with Jesus Christ.

No comments:

Post a Comment