Wednesday, November 21, 2012

JESUS LIED!

No important doctrine is affected by changes in the modern versions, according to a couple of brassy women in here recently.

Well, is Jesus being truth an important doctrine? Is Jesus being God an important doctrine? Is Jesus being honest important?

Let's look at the exclusion of ONE little word in one little verse (John 7:8) and see if the various versions all have the "same message":

NASB 8 "Go up to the feast yourselves; I do not go up to this feast because My time has not yet fully come."

NLT 8 You go on.
I’m not going to this festival, because my time has not yet come.”

ESV 8 You go up to the feast.
I am not going up to this feast, for my time has not yet fully come."

CEV 8 Go on to the festival. My time hasn't yet come, and
I am not going."

ASV 8 Go ye up unto the feast:
I go not up unto this feast; because my time is not yet fulfilled.

TNIV 8 You go to the Festival.
I am not going up to this Festival, because my time has not yet fully come." 

These six major modern versions have Jesus telling His disciples He was not going to the feast. Never mind the fact that not going was probably a sin for a Jew - the issue here is that Jesus DID go to the feast (verse 10). That means Jesus LIED to His disciples in these versions. He DECEIVED them.

John 7:8 KJB Go ye up unto this feast: I go not up yet unto this feast; for my time is not yet full come.

Well, well. One little word makes all the difference. The KJB does not make a liar out of Jesus. The NIV, Nkjv, and some others, oppose themselves by including the word with a footnote suggesting it shouldn't be there. The above versions have Jesus telling a lie, meaning He's not "the way, the truth, and the life", nor is He God "which cannot lie". But those are not important doctrines according to modern versionists.

 It turns out some textual critics prefer the modern rendering because it makes Jesus a liar! They want Jesus to be a sinner! They want to bring Him down to their level. The only problem is that if Jesus was a sinner, He wouldn't be able to be a Saviour - He'd need one Himself.

We see this same thing in the verses where modern versions give Jesus an "origin" from "ages past", and make Him a "begotten god".

Canons of Criticism - Bob Waltz http://www.skypoint.com/members/waltzmn/CanonsOfCrit.html
Aleph    D K 1241 1071 1241 a b c e ff2 vg sin cur bo arm geo al read "I am not going to this festival."
P66 P75 B L T W Q 070 0250 33 892 Byz have "I am not yet going to this festival."
The first reading is to be preferred because it implies that Jesus either lied or changed his mind.  
Arthur Schopenhauer (likely using a Tregelles or Tischendorf text)
"Jesus Christ himself is reported on one occasion to have intentionally told an untruth"
(The Two Fundamental Problems of Ethics - English translation of 1881 German edition)

No comments:

Post a Comment